There are few foods that scream "summer!" louder than a slice of juicy watermelon. However, there's a surprising secret for how to tell if watermelon is ripe.?Next time you head to the market on the hunt for the very best melon, don't grab the first one you find. To take home the sweetest one in the whole heap, use our easy trick. Psst! Do you know how to carve a watermelon? This simple adjustment makes it easy.
How to Find the Perfect Watermelon
It seems like everyone has a rule of thumb for finding the best watermelon—a butter-colored "belly," a dull skin, plenty of brown scars and so on. But regardless of your method, we'd like to recommend doing this experiment, too.
Pick up a watermelon. It should be surprisingly heavy for its size, whether it's large or small! The idea is that watermelons is that watermelons are 92% water, so a heavier watermelon should be juicy, sweet and ready to eat. But—don't stop at the first melon. You'll want to pick up one or two more melons, and see whether?those?are heavy, too. Be sure to take home the heaviest of the bunch.
How to Tell If Watermelon Is Ripe
You can do the weight test along with other melon methods. Next time you're at the market or grocery store, look out for these tell-tale signs of a ripe watermelon:
- A dark green rind
- A golden yellow spot on the melon's underside
- A deep, hollow sound when thumped
- Brown spots, webbing or scarring
- Heavy for its size
Then, bring home a beauty! By the way—here's why a?perfect watermelon costs $1,500 in Japan.??
RELATED VIDEO: These Edible Stickers Keep Your Fruit Fresher and Tastier for Up to Two Weeks (via Buzz60)
- 7 brilliant ways chefs are cooking seafood this springFrom clams to crudo, these tips from the pros will help you get more creative with seafood.My Recipes
- We went to see how traditional Italian olive oil is madeWe visited an olive oil mill in Italy in the southern region of Puglia, a region that alone supplies 40% of Italy's olive oil production and 12% worldwide. Olive oil is an essential part of the culture here, from food to the picturesque landscape.INSIDER
- How to make easy smoked musselsHow to Make Easy Smoked MusselsMy Recipes
These edible stickers keep your fruit fresher and tastier for up to two weeksBuzz600:53
7 brilliant ways chefs are cooking seafood this springMy Recipes1:18
We went to see how traditional Italian olive oil is madeINSIDER4:29
How to make easy smoked musselsMy Recipes0:51
13 things you didn't know about ranch dressingMy Recipes7:54
Queer Eye's Antoni Porowski reveals favorite recipes from his upcoming cookbookFood & Wine1:04
How To Make Carrot Cake PancakesRachael Ray Show3:01
Whole Foods Is Still America’s Priciest Grocer, According to Bank of AmericaFood & Wine1:11
How to make green chorizo skillet nachos by RachaelRachael Ray Show4:06
Why Aldi doesn't play musicSouthern Living0:53
Microsoft Teams Up With Mackmyra Distillery to Produce World’s First A.I. Blended WhiskeyBuzz600:57
I tried making pesto 3 ways—the best was the most basicReal Simple1:25
We tried making a watermelon kegRachael Ray Show3:59
This 50/50 bacon burger is so flavorful it needs no cheeseDelish1:36
This Giant Sushi Roll is the Size of 8 Regular RollsThrillist3:01
How To Make White Pizza Frittata By RachaelRachael Ray Show4:52