- 17-year-old Ciara Gan knew exactly what she wanted her graduation ball dress to look like, so she created it herself.
- With help from her mother, the two painted 80 flowers, sewed, and bejeweled a gown fit for a Disney princess.
- Gan posted several photos of the dress on Twitter, which have since gone viral.
Those final weeks of high school, filled with seminal events like prom and graduation, are truly special. And Philippines-based teenager Ciara Gan knew she wanted her graduation ball, specifically, to be a memorable one.
The 17-year-old dreamed up a stunning dress, but when the seamstress she hired to make it didn't quite deliver, she decided to take the challenge on herself.
"Everything from the painting to the leaf-like top came from the idea that I wanted to make myself look like a garden," Gan told INSIDER. "Our graduation ball was actually themed after Disney's 'Enchanted!'"
Gan and her mother spent a month sewing together 13 yards of fabric, crinoline, boning, and Swarovski crystals, reported Buzzfeed News, to create the final product: an emerald gown with hand-painted flowers fit for a princess.
"YouTube tutorials," Gan told INSIDER about how she learned to make her dress. "I would watch videos on dress-making and sewing!"
Gan posted the results on Twitter, and her post instantly went viral.
i made and painted my own gown for my graduation ball! ???
i painted over 80 flowers, sewed + stoned my dress with my mama and designed the whole thing myself! ???? pic.twitter.com/fsDwQK1NfD— ciara gan (@ciaragan) April 8, 2019
"I painted over 80 flowers, sewed, and stoned my dress with my mama and designed the whole thing myself," she wrote in the tweet, which has now been shared more than 82,000 times.
"My inspiration for the design are the things that make me happy," she told Buzzfeed News. "As nerdy as it may sound, I chose emerald green because I'm an avid Potterhead and a proud Slytherin."
People have been so inspired by Gan and her mother's work, there's even fan art of the dress.
Hi @ciaragan, I made a sketch of your gorgeous dress/creation. Just so you know it was a masterpiece and I do wish you would make more in the future.????
I hope you don’t mind, I tweaked your hair and accessories a bit.?? pic.twitter.com/AUlT8W5ngU— Ni?a (@ninazambo) April 10, 2019
Though people have started asking if Gan wants to take her skills to the world of fashion, the recent grad said she has other plans.
"I plan to pursue a degree in a science-related course," she told INSIDER. "I am in love with both the arts and sciences and I want to incorporate the two different things with each other. I want to bring art into science, or vice versa."?
Related video: How this teen fought for a more inclusive graduation dress code [provided by Radio.com]
- Kate Middleton says Prince William struggled with becoming a fatherPrince William seems like a natural when it comes to parenting, but according to his wife Kate Middleton, he struggled at first with becoming a dad.Instyle
- Sneak peek: Meghan and Harry Plus OneMeghan Markle’s close friends open up to CBS News’ Gayle King in a revealing one-hour special exploring the lives of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex as they take on a new title – mom and dad. Watch Friday, May 17 at 8/7c on CBS.CBS News
- Meghan Markle's close friends deny rumors she's difficultFor the first time, some of Meghan Markle’s best friends are giving us a rare and intimate look at the life of the Duchess of Sussex. CBS News
How Teen Fought For a More Inclusive Graduation Dress CodeRadio.com0:49
Kate Middleton says Prince William struggled with becoming a fatherInstyle1:23
Sneak peek: Meghan and Harry Plus OneCBS News3:51
Meghan Markle's close friends deny rumors she's difficultCBS News3:14
8 weird royal baby traditionsVanity Fair3:14
Will royal baby Archie be raised a vegan?Buzz601:06
Celebs and their petsHarper's Bazaar3:03
Dark side of wildlife tourism: Selfies with animals may come at a costTODAY2:52
Coinage: The cost of Meghan Markle’s ethical jewelsInstyle1:39
Is This the Next Beethoven?Inside Edition1:08
Man Pretends to Be 'Fake Boyfriend' to Help WomenInside Edition1:54
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle share impressive travel photos taken by Harry himselfInstyle1:12
Be nice for 7 days and you'll be a happier person, science saysBuzz601:29
The surprising number of Americans that don't use the internetBuzz601:08
Skip the brand names and buy the generic version of these 5 productsBuzz601:19
How 2 high school sweethearts found love again 44 years laterTODAY2:35